When I say I’m an Introvert, nobody believes me and says I come across more as an Extrovert. When I say I’m an Ambivert, people usually don’t know what that means.
Introvert and Extrovert are well-known and lately very much discussed topics. Ambivert isn’t really all that familiar a word for many people, although from my experience, when I explain it to people, they seem to identify with it more than with the traditional Introvert/Extrovert definitions.
The thing is, most people fall somewhere between an Introvert and an Extrovert, because all human beings are complex and that’s why these personality labels hardly ever fit 100%. But what if you actually are somewhere in the middle?
So what it’s like to be an Ambivert?
- People always disagree on whether you are an Introvert or an Extrovert based on their impression of you.
- When you go out, you can be full of energy, be meeting person after person and talk for hours, but then out of nowhere your energy drops and all you wanna do is go home and be alone.
- If you are talkative or quiet highly depends on the topic people are talking about. On some topics you have so much to add that you hardly shut up. But then on other topics you prefer to just listen.
- When you are being quiet you freak people out, because they think you are bored or disinterested, as they may have experienced you talking a lot before and now hardly recognize you. But for you both talking and listening is fun and means you are having a great time.
- You don’t mind spending extended period of time alone, but too much time alone makes you feel anxious and craving human connection.
- Your personality changes based on who you are with. You can be the quiet one with someone louder, or be loud as well. Or compliment someone’s quietness by being quiet together.
- In some cases you don’t mind being the center of attention, in other cases it makes you want to run away and hide.
- You are actually pretty good at picking up body language and pretty sensitive to people’s energy and you easily adjust to that.
- You may feel very awkward at networking events, but when you travel you are able to talk to any stranger like you are friends already.
- You like to hang out with both Extroverts and Introverts and do different kinds of activities that stimulate both sides of your complicated personality.
So basically if you are an Ambivert you have the best and the worst of both and you constantly confuse people. Congratulations, you’ve won the lottery! 😂
Are you an Introvert or an Extrovert?
Reading this, do you feel like you might be an Ambivert?
Do you believe in these personality labels or not? And why?
Lemme know in the comments below, I can’t wait to start a conversation with you!